- See more at: http://blogtimenow.com/blogging/automatically-redirect-blogger-blog-another-blog-website/#sthash.K9MvqDyX.dpuf Adventuring Goddess: What do you think of when I say Cabernet?

Friday, August 31, 2012

What do you think of when I say Cabernet?

Did you think of Cabernet Sauvignon? That’s what came to my mind first, anyway, but I’m indulging in something a little different this evening: the Woolworths Paul Cluver Cabernet Franc Reserve 2008. I don’t remember ever having tried a Cabernet Franc before, but I am feeling adventurous, and it is #CabernetDay!

Me and my evening's entertainment...
Ever since I began working at theVine, I have taken every opportunity to taste new wines. The best way to do this, in my opinion, is at a wine show or tasting where you get to sample a variety of wines for your fee. Taking a chance on a whole bottle may prove to be an expensive mistake.

Luckily, Woolworths is somewhat less of a gamble, since they select their wines with discretion (I actually met a Woolworths taster at a wine event once – not a job I’d mind having, to be sure!) and this Paul Cluver Cabernet Franc Reserve 2008 is a definite win.

The wine is quite dark, but very approachable and easy to drink. According to the bottle, I’m enjoying it at its peak (thank you Woolies for doing the necessary aging for me), suggesting that the wine be drunk 4 – 5 years from harvest.

The label also suggests enjoying it with a roast rack of lamb, but I opted for my far less sophisticated midweek dinner of a simple salad. I’m sure a hearty roast would pair wonderfully with this wine, but it’s honestly juicy, fruity, and delicious enough to be sipped on its own as well.

This may have been my first Cabernet Franc, but I’m looking forward to trying another one soon – long before next year’s #CabernetDay. Actually, why can’t every day be #CabernetDay? I’m sure we’d run out of days before we run out of options. Maybe it’s because I’ve been drinking, but that seems like a pretty decent idea to me!

No comments:

Post a Comment